instagram pinterest twitter bloglovin

Friday, May 17, 2019

5 Creative Skills I Want to Learn


As a design student, I feel like I have a pretty good set of creative skills under my belt. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to add more though. Here are 5 skills I really want to learn how to do whether than be in a classroom environment or at home. 

1. Hand Embroidery
This is one of those things that I've been meaning to try but just haven't had the time or resources to do so. I see all these incredible designs pop up on my Pinterest feed from time to time and it makes me want to learn so badly. I'm hoping to go to my local craft shop sometime soon and pick up an embroidery hoop and some different coloured thread. Then once the mid-year break comes around, I'll have no excuse not to give it a go. 

2. DSLR Cameras
I'm definitely very capable with the camera I own at the moment but that's because it's the most basic camera ever. It used to be the whole family's and we bought it all the way back in 2012 or 2013. It still produces decent quality photos but because it's just a normal digital camera, it functions quite differently from a DSLR. I took a photography course for a very short time at Uni last year but I can't say I took a lot away from those classes. I really want to learn how to use a DSLR properly so I can take more professional looking photos for both my blog and other things. 

3. Animation
This was another creative skill that I encountered last year at Uni. We had to use Adobe After Effects to create a very short animation for one of our designs. I actually really enjoyed bringing a static image to life. Since then, I haven't had much to do much animation but I'd really love to get back into it again. 

4. Jewelry Making
A couple of months ago, my friend and I had a craft day where we made our own earrings. It was a great time! Earrings were a definitely a great introduction to jewelry making but I'd love to make something slightly more advanced like a necklace or bracelet. I really want to experiment more with wire and beading. I have so many pretty beads and charms from my childhood that I could use. 

5. Cake Decorating
I've been loving cake decorating shows recently. Some of those cakes are honestly works of art! Like things you'd expect to see in a glass cabinet in a museum. I really want to take a cake decorating course one day. Even though baking isn't exactly my forte, decorating is where I think the real fun begins anyway. I love how creative people get with their cake designs. It's so inspiring! 

Q: What's a creative skill you want to pick up?
Thanks for reading!  


8 comments:

  1. I love that you have a list of things you want to learn! Oooh, I always admire the details people put into hand embroideries. With a blog, definitely buy a DSLR when you can! No rush but it is a two in one where you get to take great pictures and post them up, hehe. It is so cool to see how people decorate cakes. I mean there are so many different nozzles for the frostings! I know my problem is that no one would eat my cake, hehe. I know I want to pick up watercoloring if I can. Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d also love to learn so many different creative skills but I never really have the time, I always love watching all of the cake making shoes, that would be something that I would definitely love to learn and give a go. Hand embroidery also sounds really interesting, I’d love to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you keep track of all that you learned. The animation one sounds very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love learning new creative skills. I personally want to learn more about photography and drawing. Giving myself the option to tell a story through other mediums rather than relying on the written word. Great post dear!

    Tx. // Tajinder Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love experimenting with different crafts, I went through so many over time - quilting ( I LOVE but hardly get to it anymore), knitting rugs (ran out of rooms in the house to make it for), scrapbooking (switched to digital) crocheting. I did some cake decorating mainly for my kids ( i made some pretty cute superhero fondant characters a few times:) I would really like to learn more about photography when I can get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to learn hand embroidery, it always looks absolutely beautiful!

    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many amazing things here! I'm quite stunted in the creative department, I'm not particularly good at anything so there's lots I'd like to get better at. I always wished I could draw/ paint when I was younger x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already love baking but I'd really like to improve my cake decorating skills, particularly when it comes to icing. I went through a phase of jewellery making several years back too!

    ReplyDelete

blogger template