instagram pinterest twitter bloglovin

Sunday, June 28, 2020

My Favourite Student Exchange Memories


Going on a student exchange is definitely up there as one of the best decisions I've ever made. I have so many fond memories from my time away but if I had to narrow it down to a list of truly standout moments, this would be it;

Meeting my roommate
Choosing to have a roommate while on my exchange is another decision I'm glad I made. Before I met her, I had no clue what to expect. The first day I arrived, she'd set up already and was no where to be seen. So I spent the entire day not knowing who she was. It wasn't until late that night that I finally got to meet her. The first thing we talked about was the lizard that had decided to inhabit our room. Lizards are everywhere in Singapore! She seemed so easygoing and nice to talk to that I instantly liked her. Now I consider her one of my closest friends from the exchange! 

Exchangers Night Out
This was an event organised by the student exchange coordinators at my host uni. There was a group of us that travelled by MRT to the city. It was a really nice night - typical for Singapore - and it was my first time seeing the Marina Bay Sands and Merlion since the start of my exchange. The event itself was okay but we ended up leaving early and walking around the city doing our own thing. It was still a very memorable night and I definitely wouldn't have interacted with so many different exchange students had I not gone. 

First time in Tiong Bahru
Tiong Bahru is my absolute favourite neighbourhood in Singapore. In fact, if I were to live in Singapore, that's where I'd like to live. I first heard about it from a friend who mentioned a really nice bookstore being there. I decided to go check it out and I instantly fell in love with the area. It was so quiet and quaint. Not chaotic and busy like the city parts of Singapore. Also the bookstore was one of a kind! There was a vending machine outside that dispensed mystery books wrapped up like presents. So the book you pick is a complete surprise! 

Jetskiing in Langkawi, Malaysia
During the recess week, I went to Malaysia with two of my friends. That entire trip in itself was a standout memory but the one evening I especially remember was on our second day when we arrived in Langkawi. In the airport was an advertisement for jet skiing so on a whim we decided to ask our taxi driver to take us to the closest beach. It worked out so well because by the time we got on the water, the sun was starting to set and the sky was a canvas of colour! 

Every ballroom dancing class
This is a bit of a cheat answer because it's not a one time thing but I really loved all my ballroom dancing classes. I made it my goal to join at least one club while on my exchange and because I used to really enjoy watching Dancing with the Stars, I decided on ballroom dancing. It was also something new and challenging so I thought why not? 

Thanks for reading!


8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great experience with the student exchange! So great that you have made great firends from it as well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Aimsy xoxo
    Aimsy’s Antics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this sounds like a dream! One of my biggest regrets is that I never really travelled abroad for along period of time and I wished I took a uni course that allowed me to do an exchange program. Oh well, at least one day I could go to Singapore for a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I love bookstores and so love the idea of a vending machine that dispensed mystery books - how cool is that? I've been to Singapore a couple of times but have missed that one. I will definitely put that on the to do for my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Love the different experiences you've gained throughout your study abroad. It is always nice to meet other people and hang out! Oh wow! So cool that you got to do some ballroom dancing! Hopefully the pandemic can be under control so students can go back and learn abroad :).

    Nancy ✨ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful experience hun!

    xoxo
    Lovely

    http://mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow it seems you have great childhood memories. your blogs also reminded me mine childhood.
    Daisy AI Endotech

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful experience you had shared. Totally agree with you. Chilhood is the best time of life. Quickbooks tool hub

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am extremely impressed with your writing talents. Thank you for sharing Keep it up.
    Best Bridal Makeup Artist Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete

blogger template