instagram pinterest twitter bloglovin

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Let's Talk About Jobs


When it comes to finding a job, timing is super important. 

You can have the ideal skills, qualifications and experience but if a business or company isn't looking for new employees then it's a lost cause right from the start. Ever since I left my last part time job a couple of weeks ago, I've been on the hunt for a new permanent role. I still have casual jobs that I do a couple times a month, but nothing on a fixed basis. I know everyone can probably relate when I say finding yourself a new job can be quite the journey and sometimes you end up where you least expected yourself to be. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Apply for jobs you think you'll be a good fit for but don't rule everything else out entirely. You never know what you can and can't do until your try. 

This is what my mentality was going into my last job. The one I decided to leave. I gave it my best shot. I embraced the new environment, co-workers and tasks given to me but in the end, it wasn't quite enough. That's another thing about jobs. You need to stay open minded but you shouldn't have to sacrifice your own happiness in the process. If a job is making you doubt yourself and what you know, then it might be worth looking elsewhere. The part time job was okay initially but after a while, I started to feel like my lack of knowledge in the field I was working in was slowing both me and my co-workers down. I could tell I wasn't the only one getting frustrated while working and this made me even more resentful of the job. Although it was quite hard for me to come to the conclusion that I wasn't all that good at the role I was in, I knew in my heart that there was no point forcing something that already wasn't working. 

Another thing I've found with jobs is that connections can really make a difference. Whether that person is telling you first hand about a role they have open or personally referring you to their boss/employer, having someone on the inside definitely has it's advantages. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling friends and family that you're looking for work. A couple of the jobs I've had, I heard about through people I knew. I feel like everyone understands how hard job hunting is so there's no reason why your friends and family won't want to help you.

These are just a couple of things that have been on my mind recently in terms of finding work. Let me know your thoughts on the subject down below!

Q: How many jobs have you had in your life?
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about timing! When you wait too long, there is no more opening. Finding a job is a journey on its own because you can either be lucky and hit the right opening or go into a deadend with a company. It is good that you gave it your best with your last job. Even though you left, you still gained some valuable skills that you can carry over. I've been working for 5 years and I'm on my 4th job (two of my jobs overlapped each other). As cool as being a "lifer" is at a company, it doesn't necessarily need to happen :).

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, timing is everything. In the past two years, I applied to 55 jobs and been rejected by all but everything happens for a reason. If I was working now, I don't think I would have time for my blog and writing, which is something I truly enjoy! Thanks for sharing your perspective ♥️

    Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard! Between the timings, figuring out if you're going to be a good fit with the brand/ other co-workers and it fitting your needs and theirs, it't a struggle for sure. I've only had two 'proper' jobs before freelancing and blogging and one was within a family company so that was a little different. Good luck finding your next role! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a few jobs in my life - nothing spectacular. I managed to create my own online business (which has since closed) and turn my blog into my job a few years ago, when I suffered with really bad anxiety and going to work would have been an absolute nightmare. I'm definitely in a position where I could get a part time job now and be able to handle it. It's so hard to find something suitable though!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete

blogger template