instagram pinterest twitter bloglovin

Friday, April 26, 2019

Second-Hand Book Haul


I love reading. It's one of my favourite pastimes. 

When I pick up a paperback, I instantly feel relaxed and at ease. For me, nothing can replace the feel of a physical book. I recently visited a second-hand book store at this little town an hours drive from my home and picked up a couple of books while I was there. There was such a great selection of books to choose from! At an ordinary book store, I don't really like to buy several books at once but at a second-hand bookstore, it's a completely different story. You can get the most amazing bargains. In fact, the amount I paid for all four books is the same amount I'd pay for one brand new. 

With that being said, here are the books I decided on. 


Room - Emma Donoghue
I heard about this book way back in high school and have been meaning to read it ever since. I know there's a film based on it so I'd love to watch it after reading this. The plot sounds very intriguing to me. I have a feeling it'll be one of those books you finish in one sitting. 


Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
I watched this movie with my Mum on DVD years ago. I've already started reading this one and it's bringing back all these memories from the film. Turns out I remember the story a lot better than I thought. The cover is also so pretty! There was another copy of this book at the shop but I chose this one specifically because of how nice the front is. 


Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng
I hadn't heard of this book before picking it up but after reading the blurb, I really liked the sound of it. I'm also a huge fan of Jodi Picoult so the fact that she thought highly of it made me even more keen to read it. 


The Botanist's Daughter - Kayte Nunn
I have to admit, the cover definitely did a good job of drawing me in. I know you're not supposed to judge a book entirely on its cover but the pretty florals and pastel background really had that visual appeal. I also found the blurb really interesting so it was definitely a win-win situation.

Q: Have you read any of these books before?
Thanks for reading! 

8 comments:

  1. I love that you're taking advantage of savings with secondhand books! Oooh, I've heard so many things about Joy Luck Club! It is great that you got your hands on some books by Asian authors. Glad you enjoyed reading these books :)!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Room is really good! Heavy subject matter, but (imho) handled really well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie Room, didn't even realize it was originally a book. I LOVE the Joy Luck club, read the book then watched the movie which was also great. I agree with you about holding an actual paperback, it's a different feel and I love it. Sadly due to lack of space and the easy access to e-books, I find myself using my Kindle more and more. The me that used to work in a second-hand bookstore when I was a student is kinda angry at current kindle owning me...
    Madi
    https://madidearson.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting books second hand, you can get some really great deals and you can make some great finds that you wouldn't normally pick up. Little Fires Everywhere looks interesting! I hope you enjoy these books! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a great selection. I haven't read these, I nearly started Little Fires but another book popped up. I like the fact you have got second hand books as think it is easy to forget this option, same as the library. I need to get back to reading so will have a look up on the others and add to my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good book haul!! I've only read Room, which I loved, but the Joy Luck Club has been on my reading list for literally forever! It's amazing the books you can find at thrift stores and second-hand stores. You never know what you're going to find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I much prefer buying books second hand from book shops, charity shops or just borrowing them from the library. I kinda love holding a book knowing it's been owned and loved before. Sadly I didn't enjoy Room at all (although I did like the film) but Little Fires Everywhere sounds great!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing book haul! I'm particularly interested on Little Fires Everywhere because I've heard so many good reviews about it. Anyway, I too shops at a secondhand store and whenever I pass by at one of them, I always make sure to go inside because you never know you might find your next favorite book. And with that, I always leave with 3-5 books. haha

    Anyway, I just found your blog and I liked it very much. I followed you here and on IG. Let's keep in touch <3

    https://theanniechanieblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

blogger template