instagram pinterest twitter bloglovin

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Living By Myself For a Week



This week has been an interesting one.

Two things happened on Monday. The first was that I started back at Uni. The second was that my family jetted off to Aussie leaving the house to me for a week. For five whole days, I got to experience what living on your own feels like. Because I'm so used to sharing my house with four other people, it was definitely a little disconcerting to come back from the airport to nothing but silence. I thought I'd hate how quiet the house was all the time but after a day, I found I didn't really miss the noise and chaos too much. 

I think there's definitely a difference between living alone and flatting. There's a lot of self discipline involved with having a place to yourself. It really keeps you on your toes. There's no one to remind you to throw away expired groceries or close all the lights before going to sleep. Since I flatted for a month last year, it was interesting to be able to compare my two experiences. 

Because it was still my childhood home, nothing was too unfamiliar to me. I could still go about my day to day routine like normal. The only thing that was different was the absence of my parents and brothers. Because I know my home like the back of my hand, this probably made it a less accurate representation of what living alone is actually like. Nonetheless, it was still a great learning experience for me. The main thing I realised was that I'm not as unprepared for moving out as I initially thought I was. I'm actually perfectly capable of managing and maintaining a place of my own. Moving out is always at the back of my mind and even though I don't know exactly how far into the future it's going to happen, it's nice to do things like this so I sort of know what to expect. 

Thanks for reading!
Q: Have you lived/do you live by yourself? 



6 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post! I don't think I've ever lived all by myself.
    How's university so far? Have a lovely day <3

    Khadija | Creative Town Square

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to school! It is great that you got to experience living alone for a bit. The adjustment can be weird at first but you'll grow to love it. I know I loved living alone at some point. There is definitely a lot of discipline needed - I had to force myself not to feel lonely during certain times. The best thing is that I don't need to be mindful of others because I am on my own, ha. Sending you positive vibes!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t lived at home now for about 3 years and I don’t technically live myself because my boyfriend lives with me now but when he goes away I also get this feeling. It is totally different when your completely alone and I’m not sure if I could do that either! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum worked away a lot when I was younger and it's just the two of us so I got this feeling a lot, it started to feel weird when she was home...in her own house...I lived by myself properly for my final year of uni and loved it. It is a little weird getting used to being fully alone though x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually just moved out last year and it was really nerve-wrecking in the first few months, especially since I moved three hours up north. I was constantly checking on my family's security cameras and would get sad when I'd see them come home because I was somewhere else. It was hard at first but I got busy with my new job and exploring a new town that it eventually got better. I'm glad you were able to enjoy that time alone though!

    ☼ Eena | cabin twenty-four

    ReplyDelete

blogger template