instagram pinterest twitter bloglovin

Friday, March 8, 2019

My Procreate Drawing Process


I recently got Procreate on my iPad and have absolutely loved the program so far. 

Before Procreate, I created all of my digital drawings on Photoshop, using my Wacom Intuos tablet. Drawing on my iPad is such a different experience from drawing on my computer. Since I've already documented my Photoshop process on my blog, I thought doing the same for my iPad would be a good idea as well. 

Let me now if you'd like to see more drawing blog posts! 

Step 1: The Initial Sketch
For this step, I used the 6B pencil to quickly draw out how I wanted my picture to look. The image on the left was one I found off Pinterest. I attached it to the side of my drawing so I could constantly refer to it. 


Step 2: Darkening The Outline
The next thing I did was take the dry ink brush and go over all my important lines. This was in preparation for my next step which was adding colour. Having a sharper outline made me more aware of where I was colouring. 


Step 3: Colour And Tonal Variation
Once I'd finished colouring my drawing with the round brush tool, I decided to go in with the soft brush to give it some tonal variation. For this drawing, I started with the face and then worked my way outwards. 


Step 4: The Hair Texture
For the hair strokes, I used the dry ink brush again. I varied the thickness of the strokes to give the hair more volume. 



Step 5: The Sweater
Finally, I added some cross hatching on the sweater to somewhat resemble the material in the picture. 



And that's it! Here's my completed picture. I think this took around one and a bit hours. This process appears pretty straightforward however there's a lot more erasing and redrawing that goes on behind the scenes. I obviously couldn't include all of that otherwise this post would have been quite a bit longer! 


Q: Have you used Procreate before?
Thanks for reading! 

8 comments:

  1. I love that you're super talented with art! Oooh, I should definitely do something similar to this. I have a hard time with drawing from scratch. The different brushes you incorporate makes the art looks really neat. Thanks for sharing this process!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I love your art style! I especially like the hair with all the different shades. I’ve always liked illustration so I think software like this would be ideal for me, I’m hoping to get an iPad one day so I’d definitely invest in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is amazing! 😍 I wish I could draw as well as that. Love that you have shown individual steps to show novices like me how to start off.
    I haven't used procreate before but my laptop has something called draw3D I think. I don't know if it has as many brush options as procreate though!
    Fab post...thank you for sharing your drawing process!

    Aimsy xoxo
    https://www.aimsysantics

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I love it! I immediately went to their website to check it out:) it's not even expensive! I love it. Is it complicated to use? My son loves creating digital art, he is techy but young (9) He has his on iPad, I think he would love this. I'm going to show him your process:)
    Madi
    madidearson.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! So interesting seeing you go through it step by step. I wish I could draw that well. It's incredible that it's all done on an iPad too! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh wow this is amazing! I soo wish I could draw that well, I've never heard of Procreate before. It's definitely something I'll look into because I would love to get back into drawing.

    Gemma | https://anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never drawn digitally I only drew on paper not to say they were that good and I still interested in learning how to draw and this post excite me. Great work and I love the drawing so beautiful

    www.loyaltyrain.com

    ReplyDelete

blogger template